Those Incredible Loons

I think out of all the birds I observe and photograph, the loon is not only the most striking but the family bond is so beautiful to watch. Last year was the first year a photographer friend of mine told me about this pair at a local reservior. I was very thankful that she shared this with me since I myself tend to keep locations of special subject like these, private. 
This years hatching, June 25th, was earlier than last years, July 11th. always interesting info to keep notes on. I visited them on two different occations and both those days were wonderful for photographing since the water was beautifully smooth. Although many photos were taking, here are just a few.  I hope the best for these little ones!




Stretching out those little wings
Very funny watching the adult lifting it's wing up and down so the babies could get underneath
The one that was able to get a free ride would end up taking a snooze
One of the adults was gone out of sight in the deep part of the reservoir for about 40 minutes than after calling back and forth he flew in. Oh how I love that call!
Climbing up for a ride

Comments

  1. I have never seen the young of a Loon so this was lovely looking at your great shots of then

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your very welcome Margaret. I hope you do see some someday, they are so fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts